Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Just me

I love being a little different. Hence, new tattoo. It's ok if you don't like it, it wasn't for you.

I grew up desperately concerned with fitting in. I was always taller than just about everyone, had to wear boys jeans to get the length I needed, had big feet right from the start. Did I mention baby fine hair that wouldn't do anything? I started getting perms like in 3rd grade...

As I've gotten older I'd like to think that I've found myself. A huge part, if not all of the reason, was Josh. He loved me. He loved everything about me. It was kind of shocking, and definitely something that I wasn't used to.

I've come to the point where I actually kinda like myself. I still have days that I feel mannish and not girly enough, or not "sexy" enough, but there's a stronger voice in my head now that says "Hey Jeni, you are a really cool person." I try to listen to her a lot more now.

My daughter is a big inspiration to me. Although I was criticized behind my back for "letting" her be herself when she was younger (yes, I heard), I'm sure those people might take it back now... She's strong, she's an individual. She'd rather be quirky than "fit in". She shrugs off people that don't accept her because she knows what she wants. She isn't going tp give in to peer pressure because she has goals. We could all learn from watching her. She's so good for me. I've learned in part how to relax and be myself from her.

So, I guess I would challenge you to be who you are. Others won't approve, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They probably don't get it yet. Hopefully they will some day.

And remember, Jesus wants us to love, above all else, first and foremost. That's loving people for being brave enough to live honestly, even if you don't approve.

So, as I clean my house today in my rockin skull pjs, admiring my new ink when I walk by a mirror, I'll wish for you to be happy too. :)

No comments: