Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sometimes it's ruff

My family was a little ruff this morning. Yes, I misspelled on purpose.

We've had a good couple of days since Lola's passing, and yesterday we found a new little girl to share our lives with and brought her home. So it should've been good this morning(?), but it was ruff.

Losing Lola hit us all hard, and we've all been going through our own personal struggles as well. And it's been raining, a lot. Something about a lack of sunshine casts a literal shadow...

The only thing I can think to do is pray. Pray for peace in the hearts of my teenagers, pray for joy to be restored and a happy cloud to descend over this house, and everywhere they go. Pray for hugs and knuckle bumps and texts from friends that genuinely care. Maybe something to take their mind off of the everyday drone of life.

Me, I just want to run. In the rain. Maybe dance a little. Deep down inside a voice is saying "Joy comes in the morning, sweetie!" I'm choosing to listen to that voice today.

2 comments:

Misty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Misty said...

Grief sucks. I know there are those who don't really understand how deeply your family is grieving over an animal, but Lola was more than a pet. She was a beloved member of your family, and a wonderful friend.

Because she was a member of your family, the same rules that apply to grieving over a person will apply here. There will be bad, hard days. Days when you think it will crush you...and people who will, on those already awful days, tell you that you don't have the right to feel that way about someone who wasn't a "person". And you will have good days...days when you will laugh and dance. And then feel guilty for laughing and dancing because it will feel wrong for life to just go on.

And then, someday, you will have a really good day. And then a few good days. Then a whole string of them. And while it seems hard to remember it now...those days will be here before you know it. You will always miss her, but thank God, grief lasts for the night, and yes, joy comes with the morning. It's coming.

I love you.